A workaholic, colloquially, is a person who is addicted to work. This phrase does not always imply that the person actually enjoys their work, but rather simply feels compelled to do it. There is no generally accepted medical definition of such a condition, although some forms of stress, obsessive-compulsive personality disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder can be work-related. Although the term "workaholic" usually has a negative connotation, it is sometimes used by people wishing to express their devotion to one's career in positive terms. The "work" in question is usually associated with a paying job, but it may also refer to independent pursuits such as sports, music and art. A "workaholic" in the negative sense is popularly characterized by a neglect of family and other social relations.
Workaholism in Japan is considered a serious social problem leading to early death, often on the job, a phenomenon dubbed karōshi.

Signs and Symptoms of Stress and Burnout

For the past 10 years I have lived a fast paced lifestyle. Workaholism was my addiction. In my twenties, when I started my business I would work 7 days a week 10 hour days, then party and drink on the weekend, and not even think twice. I was driven and committed to creating financial wealth for myself. That all came to a screeching halt about 2 years ago when I reached a "wall." This term is commonly used in running but it clearly relates to our day to day lives.

When you reach the "wall" it feels like you can't go on anymore. That every ounce of your energy has been sucked out of your body.

I was working on franchising my business and moving into rapid growth, and I suddenly couldn't get out of bed in the morning. I had reached my "wall." Not only was I tired all the time, I had lost all my motivation and desire to do anything. Getting out of bed in the morning was a chore. This really scared me, suddenly my businesses began to decline and I started making very poor business and personal decisions. I felt as though everything was difficult and just getting through the day was a HUGE effort and energy drain. It kept getting worse as I continued to stay in denial with my signs and symptoms of stress and burnout. I refused to allow myself to slow down and admit that I was burned out. It wasn't until I was forced into bed rest and crying every single day that I stopped and did some re-evaluation.
I decided it was time to simplify my life and create more space and time for enjoyment of my life and health. I sold one of my businesses and took 5 months off. Literally I just did the minimum to get by. I slept, read and nurtured my body mind and soul for 5 months.

I have since fully recovered with many lessons learned. I realize that I will never be able to work at the pace that I used to work in my twenties. I honestly don't want to work at that pace. Now I make sure I get plenty of rest, relaxation, down time and play time. I realize that my health and well-being is the greatest assets that I have and if I lose this then I will really be in trouble in my life. No amount of financial wealth can give you your health, if you have depleted your adrenals, and body.

Signs and symptoms of stress are not always obvious, you may mask the symptoms thinking that fatigue, headaches, forgetfulness, or illness are just a fact of life. Until you reach a mental breakdown, you will continue to keep forcing yourself towards chronic fatigue, unaware that your body is showing you signs and symptoms of stress. Generally whatever our vice is will we do more of when we are stressed. For example do you shop when you are stressed? Do you eat? Do you workout? Do you drink? If you find yourself doing more of these things almost excessively, that could be a clear sign that you are stressed out. Watch your own body for signs of stress.

Physical signs and symptoms of stress:

  • Frequent illness or colds
  • Headaches
  • Back Pain
  • Chest Pain
  • Heart Palpitations
  • High Blood Pressure
  • Sleep Problems
  • Digestive Issues
  • Lack of Sexual Drive
  • Eating too much or too little
  • Alcohol or Drug Abuse

Emotional signs and symptoms of stress:

  • Forgetfulness
  • Restlessness
  • Lack of Focus
  • Getting Angered or Irritated Easily
  • Sadness
  • Worry or Feeling Anxious
  • Feeling insecure
  • Feeling overwhelmed
  • Depression
  • Inability to process information
  • Feeling helpless



Autor: Sharon Hwang Sharon Hwang
Level: Basic
My life in many respects has been a non-traditional one. I suppose all of us have lived unique lives depending on your perspective and belief ... ...

Sharon Hwang has worked in the wellness field for over 10 years. She has a M.A. in Psychotherapy and owns, The Wellness Center, Inc., which is located inside a Whole Foods grocery store, is an integrative center that offers, Acupuncture, Massage, Naturopathic Medicine and Chiropractic Care.
For more tips on how to manage stress go to:wellnessdenver.com.
For more tips on how to manage stress go to:adrenal-failure/ways-to-relieve-stress.com.


Added: June 17, 2009
Source: http://ezinearticles.com/

0 comments: