A workaholic, colloquially, is a person who is addicted to work. This phrase does not always imply that the person actually enjoys their work, but rather simply feels compelled to do it. There is no generally accepted medical definition of such a condition, although some forms of stress, obsessive-compulsive personality disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder can be work-related. Although the term "workaholic" usually has a negative connotation, it is sometimes used by people wishing to express their devotion to one's career in positive terms. The "work" in question is usually associated with a paying job, but it may also refer to independent pursuits such as sports, music and art. A "workaholic" in the negative sense is popularly characterized by a neglect of family and other social relations.
Workaholism in Japan is considered a serious social problem leading to early death, often on the job, a phenomenon dubbed karōshi.

Letter From a Recovering Workaholic

I start a new job a week from today and know what a struggle it will be not to overdo it. I know, as part of my workaholism, that I think I have value only when I do more work than anyone else, and better work than is ever called for. I also know that for most of my life, I've lived for those crumbs of approval that people gave me for doing a good job, while feeling empty inside, because nothing and no one knew or validated the real me.

I've been working particularly hard on this the last year, since I almost ruined my health on my last job. (18-hour days, working every weekend, etc.) I started to notice that people were either puzzled by or indifferent to my "sacrifices". Well, phooey on all that. I've made some real friends since then, and I don't want to lose them to neglect as I always have done in the past. I'm getting along better with my immediate family than I ever have, and don't want to lose that, either.

I went to a ton of doctors, found out all the things that have gone wrong through neglecting myself, changed what I could (lost 30 pounds), and have accepted the rest, and try to eat a salad every day and take walks when I'm restless. Most importantly, though, I had to realize that my parents didn't have the "nurturing gene", as I call it. Not through malice, but through ignorance or perhaps fatigue, as they themselves worked long and hard to support 4 kids. So I know I was not given much in the way of attention, affection, or 'strokes' unless I did a chore or brought home a great report card or did something like make dinner that made their lives easier.

I learned to empathize with them in order to feel needed and appreciated. Not surprisingly, I married someone who needed a lot of attention, as well. His issues became mine. Finally (hopefully not too late) I'm starting to nurture myself. For 40 years I wanted to go to an art class, and didn't. It was like it was too selfish, or forbidden fruit somehow. I couldn't bring myself to do it. I was actually a little afraid of it. Who knows why?

I finally signed up for a pottery class this fall and, after a shaky start, started going regularly. Now I wonder why I deprived myself of this simple pleasure all these years. I discovered a dance studio near the new job, and I'm going to sign up for a class there one night a week to insure that I'm forced to have another interest and leave work on time that night. I don't care if it's tap dancing or belly dancing, I want to experience the joy of moving my body through space to music. It makes me smile just to think of it.

I also rejected the offer of staying in a Holiday Inn while working out of town, and instead found a Hilton Homewood Suites where I can settle in, make a nest, and live like a human being instead of a temporary visitor. I did this for me, and I'm proud that I took care of myself instead of accepting something less. Sometimes I imagine what a life I could have had with all of those hours I've given away. I hope it's not too late to begin now. Perhaps it's true: "It's never too late to be what you might have been."

I sure hope so.

Watch me dance!



Autor: Jennifer P Blair

Jennifer Blair is a recovering workaholic who still takes it one day at a time. She's speaking at the Time for Me retreat in VA in March of 2009: http://www.NoTimeForMe.net


Added: May 15, 2009
Source: http://ezinearticles.com/

0 comments: